Monday, March 16, 2015

The Playlist (Part I)


As mentioned in a previous post, one of the things that keep me moving is the music pumping through the buds in my ears. I just get so pumped when I hear it. My wife prefers the radio. But when I run, I'm the DJ. I get to choose. So its important to pick the right stuff that makes you feel your best to get you to your peak performance. In this case, it's music which can induce emotions suitable to get you through rough spots.

As a freshman at the University of North Texas. I pledged Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, a fraternal music organization.  The Fifth purpose of the fraternity was to "Instill in all people an awareness of music's important role in the enrichment of the human spirit."  I justify this post for that purpose. The national organization has many notable alums including, John Phillip Sousa, Fred Rogers (of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood), Andy Griffith, Burl Ives, and Oscar Winner J.K. Simmons.

So I thought I would share a little about my playlist so that you could get a glimpse into what I run with.

My addiction to working out with music started with the cycle classes, some call them spin class. Spin Class is basically a bunch of people on stationary bicycles with loud music pumping and a trainer yelling at you to pretend you're riding up a hill or on a flat road in big bicycle race.  As I was regularly attending these classes at the YMCA, the music selection was always an integral part of my workout.  It was always great to pedal to the beat of the music. As a musician, it's hard not to find yourself pedaling, tapping, or running in step to the tempo. When the Mrs. and I run on treadmills together when its raining or snowing, I always catch her smirking at me when I play the air drums. I'm not gonna apologize, its what I do. 

I'm gonna go through Some of my favorites in my playlist and give you some info on each song. Links provided go to YouTube for a listen. 

The Distance 
By: Cake 
Favorite Line: Reluctantly crouched at the starting line,
Engines pumping and thumping in time.
The green light flashes, the flags go up.
Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup

What I like about it: There is a reason this is my first song of the running playlist. This is what I'm listening to on the starting line before the gun goes off or as I'm walking down the street to my starting line, which is the playground on the end of our street. It just gets me amped up.  I also like Cake for their use of the trumpet in their songs. 
Approximate Distance: 0 miles

Turn Down for What
By: DJ Snake and Lil Jon
Favorite Line: Actually this song is pretty dumb. I don't listen to the lyrics. 
What I like about it: The beat and the tempo. 
Approximate Distance: First mile

All Mixed Up
By: 311
Favorite Line: You've got to trust your instinct, and let go of regret. 
What I like about it: Tempo. This is a good tempo run. I've got my best tempo runs at the beginning. It sets my 'race pace' I know that if I'm in step with these, I know I'll be good for the run. 
Approximate Distance: 2nd 

Grace is Gone
By: Dave Matthews Band
Favorite Line: I could never love again, so much as I love you.
What I like about it: This is a little more chill of a sound. Not a pace song, just reminds me of where I am. You'll notice a lot Dave Matthews Band in my playlist. This is the first one.
Approximate Distance: End of my first mile. 

The Best of What's around
By: Dave Matthews Band
Favorite Line: I don't really have a favorite line in this. Recorded in the mid-90's its vintage Dave. 
What I like about it: This gets me back on pace again. This is the song 
Approximate Distance: Crossing mile one  +/- 0.1miles

Lose Yourself By: Oscar Winning rapper, Eminem
Favorite Line: Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity, To seize everything you ever wanted. one moment Would you capture it? Or just let it slip?
What I like about it: This tempo is about 172 bpm. It is my perfect running pace. It paces me at about 8:30/mile depending on my stride length. 
Approximate Distance: This is playing as I cross the 2 mile mark. If the first 2 miles are warmup. I'm warm at this point. That's why this song is places where it is. I'm warm. I set my pace to this song and I do my run. It is literally perfection. Also, like he says in the song, I Lose Myself in the music, the moment, I own it. The same goes for my race. I think about a lot of motivations I have for my running and this song brings out the emotion in many of them. 

Empire State of Mind By: Jay-Z (featuring Alicia Keys)
Favorite Line: The chorus talks about New York being a concrete Jungle. That's how I feel when I'm running along the streets and sidewalks. Although, Not a real concrete jungle. I am, in fact, running on concrete. 
What I like about it: 174 BPM. I'm able to set my pace throughout Mile 2. 
Approximate Distance: 2nd half of Mile 2. 

Get Up offa that thing By: James Brown
Favorite Line: None. I don't listen to this one for the lyrics. I just dig soul, man.
What I like about it: James Brown. My mood at this point, is that I got up off my ass back in June 2014 and started working out. Now I'm running. Every morning, when I'm up before 5 AM to do a run, I have to get up offa that thang.
Approximate Distance: Starting Mile 3. 

Stay (Wasting Time) By: Dave Matthews Band
Favorite Line: N/A
What I like about it: Uptempo Dave Matthews Band 
Approximate Distance: During Mile 3


There are 62 songs in my current running playlist. When I hear one on the radio I think would be good, I add it. Can't really have too many, can ya?  I generally start my playlist with my long run and pick up where I left off from the last run, making it through most of my play list throughout the week. 


There is one song, however, that is the most powerful for me. I don't know why. I've always enjoyed its chords. Its an expressive piece of choral music that I happened to be listening to at a very memorable point in my life. And for that reason, I have vivid imagery come to mind when I hear it.  The tune is Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei.  This is the choral version of Adagio for Strings. The version I listen to is based on the version heard in the movie "Platoon" which sounds totally random, but makes  a little sense when used in context.  You can listen to a portion of that version here

The imagery I have is based on the final minutes of a man's life when he is dying. Of Course, I think about my father as this is the song I was listening to in the car when I was on my way to see him for the last time. 

The Latin being sung is 
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.
which means:
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, grant us peace.

I am very particular about this song. In my runs, I want it to be played at an exact moment, and for races, I will be sure to use a best estimated guess to be sure it plays when I need to hear it most. It plays for 6 minutes and 15 seconds. Its not long, but its enough time to gather up all my strength and finish strong. For my dad. 

Music is a part of me. It always has been. Not every runner uses a playlist. But if you're trying to put one together, you just have to find the music that moves you. These songs move me. I'll have another playlist post in the future to share







No comments:

Post a Comment