Friday, March 6, 2015

Early Training for my First Half


So I got started with Hal Higdon's Training program during September. It was 12 weeks out from the Dallas Marathon (Formerly known as the White Rock Marathon), and I was playing around with posting my runs from the MapMyRun App to Facebook and Twitter. (BTW, you can follow me on Twitter @JLiewehr) The Half-Marathon Novice 1 Training fit me like a glove for the fall.

The basic premise of these work outs is routine. The routine includes lifting weights and cross training. He coaches that weight training can be helpful if you have been lifting weights in the past, which I have (on and off) since Jr. High. I had been lifting more as of the last 2 years. Basically, my week looked like this:
Monday: Stretch and Lift
Tuesday: Run
Wednesday: Run or Cross Train (Biking, cycling, elliptical, or swimming)
Thursday: Run and Lift
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Cross Train
Sunday: Long Run

As previously mentioned, this was perfect for me since I had already been attending the Satuday Cycle Class at the YMCA. Likewise, Coaching soccer at the Y on Saturdays meant I was already there anyway. Plus, doing the "Long Run" on Sunday was fine since we went to Late church, I had plenty of time to get that run in. Everything in between was just a matter of waking up on time and getting the runs in.

Here are my learnings during the first six weeks of training.

1. I gotta get done with my run and in the shower by 6:15-6:30, otherwise, I can't leave the house by 7:10 and get to work by 8. This means that for a 3 mile run, I have to leave by 5:45 and awake by 5:30. But for a 4 or 4.5 mile run, I had to be up by 5:15.  In the last post, I mentioned my excuse for not running was that I "didn't have the time." Well, I just made the time. I found that waking up earlier wasn't the problem I imagined it to be. What helped with that? Going to bed earlier.

2. Adjustments have to get made from time to time. Rain happens. Can't get the run in like normal. But having access to the community gym means I can always get a 3 mile run in on a treadmill. I also learned later down the line that the max I'm willing to run on the treadmill is 3 miles and only 3 miles. Wake up late on a Wednesday? May have to skip the run and do cycle at the YMCA in the evening instead.

3. I learned that 50 degrees is the perfect running temp. More than that means too sweaty and uncomfortable. Moisture wicking clothes are a must. Cotton is no bueno for running.  Name brand clothes are expensive, too. I found the lesser known brands from Target and Academy to work just fine. On occasion, I did find some good deals on Nike, Under Armour, Asics, and Brooks.

4. Pooping is essential before a long run. If you've ever run seriously, this is one of the first things we learn. You don't want to be caught miles from the house, and without a pot to poop in. Or worse, waddling home and making a bee line for the bathroom. Although, it occasionally happens, I became much more aware of when I was making this act happen. The mess isn't the problem. Its the pain. Runner's World devoted an article on this topic.

5. Its amazing how many people are runners. And the serious runners like to help out. I got a dose of this from an old High School friend as he was preparing to run the New York Marathon. I had seen him post some things about running. A long run here, some pre and post marathon pics there. So I knew he was serious. He was more than helpful with advice. From Energy Gels to Salt tablets, Clothing to race selections and helping me through injuries. He's my running consigliere. We began making plans to run some of the same races together too.

Throughout this time frame, I began with some easy 2 and 3 mile runs. Small. Doable. I live in Lantana, Tx. Which isn't a city. Its actually a master planned community which is located in southern Denton County. Behind our house is a running path, which is great, because there are no cars that might hit you. However, we live near a creek and some woods, so there are the occasional pesky animals. You know, rabbits, raccoons, armadillos, copperheads, & skunks. My wife's favorite stories aren't about the snakes she has to avoid while running, its the skunk that came in our house one time back in 2011. I digress. Lantana is a wonderful community to live in if you run. It didn't take long for me to figure out where to run when I needed a prescribed distance. I have a 2 mile loop. 3 mile loop, 4 mile, 5 mile, 6, 7 and 8 mile course. This is really great, so when I need to run, say, 10 miles, I can do the 8 and 2 or the 7 and 3, two 5's, or maybe the 6 and 4. I have options, you know? It was throughout this part of the training I started figuring all of this out.

It was also during this time that I stopped posting every run and only posted the long runs. I forgot how many people hate workout posts and running posts. But I did it initially maybe because I needed validation or bragging. I'm not sure which one.  Probably both.

I always tried to learn something about myself during these long runs. In the beginning, its easy because everything is knew. So everything was a "Long Run Learning."  And the long runs started at about 4 miles. So it was about 35-40 minutes of just jogging and thinking. Of course, my music helps. The 5 things I listed previously were just a few of the things I used to put in my social media posts after long runs. At this time, in October, I had thought about creating this blog, but never had enough motivation. It wasn't until others in my family decided to blog that I finally built up the courage to share through this medium.

My first few long runs were 4 miles each. The Half-Marathon training was about routine. The Novice training is about building up muscles in your legs. Therefore, at the beginning, you generally run the same distances for 2 weeks at a time before going up a distance. The first 2 long runs were 4 miles each, then there was the 5 miler. The 5 miler felt great. It was a beautiful day. 54 degrees. Shorts and a shirt, headphones, and I was off. This was probably the first time I can remember getting that "runners high." If you've never heard about a Runner's High, Its perfectly safe and perfectly legal. Its the enjoyment we find in running. It makes you happy, and feeling accomplished. Runners find it for different reasons. Its what happens when the endorphins are released in your body. It feels great.


Portland, Oregon: Site of The Leon Bradley Scholarship 5K


This Long Run was the day before I was scheduled to be in Portland for my week long conference with AASPA, the American Association of School Personnel Administrators. This is my national professional organization. Every year we try to raise money for a scholarship for young minority students who are seeking the education field as a career. This year, in Portland, the conference committee had an idea to hold a 5K, and I was ready. I wanted to show well. On top of all this, The training program encourages a few races before your peak. He does this to provide ample opportunity to learn about running with the pack. A lesson I quickly learned. When Tuesday, October 14 rolled around, I hadn't ran since Saturday of the previous week when I ran 5. My legs were tight and I was needing a run to work the muscles out. I made it down to the starting area to meet up with my colleagues and run the race. This wasn't a massive 1000 person event. It was more like a small 50 person event. I stretched, Got my shirt, took some photos, got on the starting line, they gave us some directions: Down to the 4th bridge, cross it and come back. The first three places would win a prize.  Then, the horn blew and I was off!


Arial view of Portland's Bridges

Portland is situated on the Willamette River. Known as the Bridge City, it has several historic and scenic bridges crossing the river. We started at the base of the Hawthorne Bridge, and ran north to the bridge past Burnside. When I hit my first mile, the Map My run voice said I did my first mile at a pace of 8:03/mile! This was the fastest I had paced yet. I was out of the start really fast. In fact, I led for about a half mile before I was passed by someone who looked like he had been running much longer than I had. Passed by another person as we crossed over the bridge to the east bank of the river, I started my way back figuring I was about half of the way through the race. Desperately trying to keep my pace up, that funny smell hit my nose. It wasn't the river. It wasn't trash. It wasn't the homeless. It was weed. And I HATE the smell of weed. So I kept running. Back to the Hawthorne bridge, I ran up the ramp and over the bridge. With Traffic whizzing by, I got passed by a third person. Now I was in 4th place. I'd be out of the money (So to speak).  I could see the finish line. Then, as we made it over the bridge, we ran down the ramp, and I kicked it into overdrive, putting all my energy into my muscles, I sped up for the last 100 meters and passed the runner in front of me and finished in 3rd place. It was a sense of accomplishment. For a guy who had really only started running about 5 weeks before, It felt good.  A little drizzle started to fall. I was handed my prize (A gift certificate to AASPA's bookstore) and had my photo taken. I cheered on most of the other runners (And walkers).


Finishing my 5K - Photo courtesy of @_AASPA_

The first thing I realized was that this wasn't 5K. 5K's should be approximately 3.1 miles. This was 2.81. But it was close enough as far as I was concerned. My time was 24:19 and I finished at a pace of 8:39/mile, which was my best time since I started running. I was excited and proud of this accomplishment. Although, I kept it in perspective. I posted on Social Media, that I came in 3rd in this 5K and one person asked who the other 2 people in the race were.

The rest of the week was great. As I mentioned, Portland is a great city. Excellent for runners. The River is a nice jog. On Wednesday, I ran the reverse of the 5K stopping on the way back to the Hotel for VooDoo Donuts, which is a local establishment known for their funny take on Doughnuts.


The selection at the donut shop.

Then on Thursday, I was scheduled for a 4 mile run. This was the first time a midweek run was as long as one of my previous long runs. This is a phenomenon which would repeat quite often in the first 6 months of running. But I was out of town. I didn't know where I could run 4 miles. And it was 5AM since I can't sleep in on the west coast.

I knew a 2.81 mile route. So I walked out of the hotel and just started running up the hill towards downtown. I trusted I could run up to the park in the middle of downtown which was only a few blocks away and run down a few blocks, then back to the riverfront and with the added mileage, it would be about 4 miles. On my way up the hill, I noticed some flashing lights to my right. Then I noticed some crime scene tape. I found out later, there was a stabbing in the middle of downtown Portland the morning of my 4 mile run. I learned another lesson. Run where you're comfortable. Where you're safe. And don't listen to headphones when you're running in a downtown area. This was also the first run where I was almost hit by a car. Due to me not looking.

The run finished strong. I got my midweek runs in and was prepared to head back to Texas. Upon my return on Saturday, there was never a good time to sneak in a long run, so I put it off until Sunday Evening. Bad idea. Sunday evening long runs are the worst. First, I made the colossal error of doing it after dinner. And I didn't leave enough time between dinner and the run. Pain. A bunch of pain in my gut (It wasn't the voodoo donuts either). It was the huge meal I had just eaten. Learning? Yes, As I said, during every long run, we learn something new. Don't eat and run. Also. Running along F.M. 407 in the evening can be a little scary. 18 wheelers travel this road. I'm on the sidewalk going 6 mph, they're on the street going 50 mph. I'm not gonna win that one.

So early training is complete. I ran in my first "practice race" before the half marathon. The schedule was working and it was all coming together. I began looking forward to some real races in Dallas. And I felt confident I could surpass my own minimal personal success in running.


After my 3rd place finish in front of the Hawthorne Bridge. 


Jason Lives with his wife, dog, 2 daughters and all of their toy shopkins. He is a school district administrator and works as the Director of Secondary Personnel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment