Thursday, March 5, 2015

Long Run Learnings - A Prehistory


Before we go to far, lets get one thing straight. I'm not a writer. Words are not my forte. I do hope this blog will increase my self-efficacy with writing.

Another note of value. I've only been running regularly for 6 months. These initial blog posts will attempt to cover that history. 


My wife runs regularly. Like 6 days/week. She is super woman to me. 3 miles/day Monday - Friday and 6 on Saturday. Like clockwork. Usually takes the dog too. She is very strong. You need a running partner for a 5K or 10K, she could run it on the spot. She always encouraged me to run, but my excuse was that "I didn't have time." We've all heard that excuse before. What I learned in the last 8 months is that you make time for what you want to make time for. 

It all started with the kidney stone from March 30, 2014. Kids were at a sleepover party, thankfully, and I woke up a little after midnight. Then the pain hit. It really hurt. Fast forward to the hospital with scans, drugs, and falling back to sleep on pain meds. Went to the Doctor on Monday for more pain meds when he said, after looking at my weight, "Hey, when this stone passes, lets schedule a checkup and look at your weight." I didn't think about it much at the time, but that was a huge motivator which led to my current course. 

I made a few dietary changes according to the stone, but most other workout and dietary habits remained unchanged. Then June hit and my eyes opened up. I started noticing things in social media. Those annoying workout checkins were one. My very dear friend assured me they were only for the purpose of winning some social media contest. I also started noticing the runkeeper and mapmyrun (www.mapmyrun.com)posts. With maps, data, calories burned, and pace. I didn't think much of them. Then my friend accidentally posted from the loseit app (www.loseit.com). This is one of those apps that helps you keep track of the calories in and calories out for the purpose of weight loss.

Don't worry, all of this leads up to the running. 

Picture of Fat Jason from May


I started using the weight loss app. Tracking calories in and calories out. My goal was to lose 20 pounds. 2 lbs per week for 10-11 weeks. The app allows you to put in your workouts and subtract the calories burned from your daily intake. That meant I needed to burn some cals. I started with cycle class at the Y.  We initially joined the Cross Timbers YMCA to gain discounts for the kids summer camps. I thought, since I was paying, I should make use of it. Timing was perfect. Cycle (or Spin Class) was twice per week. Time is tight during the summer when I have work 4-days per week at 10 hours/day. But we made it work. Cycle class was awesome. It was an activity I enjoyed and with music. The music is what drives me. (Even now with running) But after a while, it felt like it wasn't enough. Then I went on a short business trip and had to miss my cycle class a few days and replaced it with some elliptical workouts. 

I used to think Elliptical workouts were for the weak. A fake workout. Then I saw the calories I was burning. It was pretty good for the time I was putting in on those machines. So, I slowly switched over the elliptical workouts during the week and cycle on the weekend. Then elliptical got boring. But one of my cycle instructors at the Y pointed out that the cycle classes are excellent training for 5K. So I thought, maybe I can do some running. So I started. It was early September, I had already lost close to 15 pounds and had gotten below 200. I was almost at my goal. This is the second thing I learned through this odyssey. I work well with a goal in mind. So, one day, instead of cycling or elliptical. I put on my shoes, downloaded map my run, and walked to the end of the street. I had a playlist created and I started running. 

The mapmyrun app works well for me because of the data it is capable of keeping. Distance, calories, pace, and elevation. With this data, I am able to fine tune my style and map out my runs (More on that later). As I stated previously, the playlist is the all-so-important cog that keeps me going. I'm an educator first, musician second, athlete third.  

So, it was September 7, 2014 - I ran 1.13 miles (Pace 10:43). I was winded, but no more than when I do cycle or elliptical. Legs felt great. Music was good.  All-in-all, not too bad. Next day 1.49 miles (9:52/mile). I always heard you should increase your pace or your distance by 10% if you have a goal to reach. I was already thinking about the AASPA Leon Bradley 5K in Portland in October, that was a goal of mine. I ran a few 5K's and a 10K in the past. Last time I ran very far was in 2008 for the Cowtown 10K. 

The rest of the week went like this

9/9 - 1.49 miles
9/10 - 1.94 miles
9/11 - rest
9/12 - 2.18 miles
9/13 - cycle class - This is also the day I turned 37. And the day I hit my weight goal! 195 lbs.
9/14 - 3.12 miles (9:31/mile)

That's it! I did it! I hit my goal. I lost the weight & I am able to run a 5K. 

I did it all for the Nookie.  Come' on, the nookie.

We all have different things that motivate us. For me, its having a personal goal. I learned that through this experiment. I found that I was determined and disciplined. I had the grit to see it through. I knew what needed to be done everyday and I felt that sense of accomplishment. 

So September 15 rolled around and now what? Keep working out? Keep up with all those calories? I did that, I hit my goal. I needed a break from the daily grind and annoyance of inputting all the data. I ran 1.34 miles anyway. I accomplished more than expected. Not only did I lose the weight, I accomplished more. I changed my lifestyle. I was no longer working out to lose weight. I wasn't working towards a goal. I was running because of a lifestyle change. I was working out more, and transitioning into Running. Am I a runner now?

It was after the 1.29 mile run on Tuesday Sept 16, when I was on my way to work when this all hit me. I was working out. I was eating better, but for what? Why? Depending on how well you know me, you may realize my world needs 2 things. Order and Reason. Rules apply to everything, and they are there for a reason. Its that answer to the question, "Why?" For me, I was asking myself, "What next?" and "Why run?"  Then it hit me, Half-Marathon.  I could run one. I always knew there were regimens and workouts you could do leading up to a half. I've seen books about them (or full marathons). I just never ran one. There IS this thing called google (www.google.com).  So, I did a google search for marathon plans. And I found Hal Higdon's training site (www.halhigdon.com). On his site, he has recommended training programs for all levels of runner for all distances. He's done the work, he's read the research, he's got a great interactive training program. As I looked at the half-marathon training, I realized I could do this. Little by little. I could work up to the Dallas Half-Marathon in December. The timing couldn't be better. His 12-week training program for novice runners was perfect because the Dallas Marathon and Half-Marathon were still thirteen weeks away.

So there it was, my next goal. With a workout plan prescribed for me. I was ready to take the next big step towards being a runner. 

Next up, Big things in Big D.






Jason lives with his wife, two children and Lola the Lab in Lantana, TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment